I love being able to sit down and eat our meals together as a family and breakfast is no exception. This Banana French Toast is a breakfast that my family have been enjoying ever since my eldest was a baby.
I love this meal so much because it’s such a simple and healthy breakfast that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It makes a great early finger food for older babies and as your family grows you can add in more options to turn this meal into a breakfast feast.
Serve this up with a selection of seasonal and age-appropriate fruit. For children under 12 months some squished blueberries work perfectly (if you give them a squish between your fingers to break the skin you eliminate the choking hazard).
I also like to serve ours up with some maple syrup for the adults and older kids – I wouldn’t recommend adding maple syrup or any other sweetener for kids under 2, a small drizzle for older kids if they ask is ok.
Lastly I also place a bowl of hemp seeds on the table. My kids call them ‘sprinkles’ and they like to sprinkle them over their finished creations before eating. Hemp seeds are a fantastic source of plant-based protein and omega-3, they’re packed full of nutrients and give a nice boost to meals like this.
Other ideas for foods to add to the table that go well with banana french toast are:
– some plain natural yoghurt
– bacon, nitrate-free if you can (if you’re a fan of the whole sweet + salty vibe)
– coconut flakes
– chopped nuts and/or seeds
Banana French Toast
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 slices of sourdough or other bread
- coconut oil or ghee, for frying
- selection of chopped fruit, for serving
- Mash the banana in a wide bowl with a fork. Add eggs and cinnamon and whisk until combined.
- Heat oil or ghee in a cast-iron or non-stick frypan on medium heat
- Add one slice of bread to the egg mixture and flip it over to make it sure it's completely covered on both sides. Shake off any excess and place into oiled pan.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on a plate covered with a clean tea towel to stay warm.
- Repeat with remaining slices of bread until all of them are cooked.
- Serve up family style with some fresh fruit and whichever sides you choose.